Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Salame al Finocchietto - Wow that was quick!

It's only been 10 days since I put this salame in the curing chamber, but it's ready! I kept the chamber at 56 deg. F and a humidity of about 65%.

As of this morning, the weights of the salami have decreased as follows:
Salame A: 566g -> 321g a 43% loss in weight
Salame B: 596g -> 359g a 40% loss in weight.

So I took salame A, the one which had lost more weight, out of the curing chamber. As you can see there is no mold formation on the outside of my salame. I've never been able to figure this out. I have no idea why. I've even tried spraying the salame with distilled water in which I've mixed a moldy casing from a commercial salame...nothing! I must have a magical chamber which doesn't allow growth.

Anyhow, the aroma is very light, I can smell the fennel, and the black pepper, but not really strong. Cut into it:










You can see the medium fine grain, the nice distinct fat chunks and the black pepper and fennel seeds.
Flavor is very good. Very mild acidity, which is what I was going for, nice fennel flavor, but the black pepper is maybe just a touch too strong. I'd reduce it about 20% next time. Texture was good. A bit drier around the edges than in the middle, but this may change as it firms up after a few days in the fridge. I've found that a week or so in the fridge (sealed in a zip lock bag) allows the meat humidity to equalize across the diameter and the flavor seems to increase.

Overall I'm pleased. Simple flavors, good salame.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
Of course there was no mold you kept it at very low humidity and that is reason why salame had that hard ring around. Anyway very nice blog!
Ciao

EZ said...

Jason,

My observations are that 63-65 degrees (F) and 65% humidity are the *minimum* needed for good mold growth. Less than that and it seems to grow slowly if at all; more than that and it grows faster. I haven't set up experiments to test this yet. So many experiments to do, so little time...

~EZ

Jasonmolinari said...

thanks EZ.